Disability and Rehabilitation Engineering Research
Research and development is only meaningful if it gets into the hands of people who will use it to:
- make better decisions,
- improve available products,
- implement better policies and
- develop better programs and services.
We'd like to use these pages to increase awareness about completed research, research in progress and the areas where research is still needed.
National Center for the Dissemination of Disability Research
The National Center for the Dissemination of Disability Research (NCDDR) in Austin, Texas was developed to help with the important job of disseminating research funded by the National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research (NIDRR).
NIDRR funds these large categories of disability and research projects:
Rehabilitation Engineering Research Sites
- Bloorview McMillan Centre - Ontario, CA
- Center for Rehabilitation Technology - Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA
- Certec - University of Lund, Sweden
- Community Rehabilitation Studies - University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Ecole Polytechique Montreal.- NSERC Industrial Chair on Wheelchair Seating and Positioning
- Kessler Medical Rehabilitation Research and Education Corporation, New Jersey
- KISS Institute for Practical Robotics and the TinMan Wheelchair Robot
- Nokaidai Polytechnic University - Department of Rehabilitation Engineering
- Ontario Rehabilitation Technology Consortium - University of Toronto, CA
- Rancho Rehabilitation Engineering Program - Downey, CA
- Stanford University - Rehabilitation R&D Center Rehabilitation Science Projects
- University of Alberta - Biomedical Engineering
- University of Michigan - Biomedical Engineering at Ann Arbor, MI
- University of Pennsylvania (GRASP Lab) - development of a protype all terrain wheelchair.
- University of Pittsburgh - RERC I (1993-98) on Wheeled Mobility
- University of Pittsburgh - RERC II (1999-2003) on Wheeled Mobility
- University of Pittsburgh HERL - Human Engineering Research Laboratory
- University of Rochester Computer Science - Mobile Robotics
- Wright State University - Biomedical and Human Factors Engineering.
- CRERO - Coalition of Rehabilitation Engineering Research Organizations
Resources for Researchers and Students
Back to Wheelchair University
Last Updated: 3-2-2006